College Related Events
College fairs, local receptions and the representatives that visit La Reina High School are all great resources that give students and parents a unique opportunity to learn about colleges and talk to college admission personnel. These events are particularly helpful for juniors and seniors; however, they are open to anyone interested in attending. To view an itinerary of college related events please visit College Fairs, Receptions and Rep Visits. Also, be sure to check the Calendar for upcoming events.
It would be helpful for students and their parents to establish a list of priorities before meeting with college representatives. Consider questions about admission requirements, characteristics of the college, nature of the student population, questions about academics, costs and financial aid.
The following are some potential questions you might want to ask the representatives:
- Are entrance tests required? Which ones? What range of scores is accepted?
- Does the college require a certain GPA for admissions?
- Will my activities and involvement in high school be considered? How much?
- Is there an essay on the application? What is the topic?
- What kind of admission plan do they offer? Regular, rolling, early decision or early action?
- How are admissions decisions made?
- Are personal interview or letters of recommendation required?
- Are there special requirements for impacted majors?
- What percent of applicants are admitted
- What are the application filing dates?
- What is the college setting—urban/rural, instate/out of state? What are the weather conditions like?
- What is the surrounding community like?
- Is the college public, private, religiously affiliated?
- Is the emphasis of the college on liberal arts, technical or professional?
- How many students does the college have in their undergraduate programs?
- What special programs does the college offer?
- What is the academic calendar? Is the college on semester or quarter system?
- When must I choose a major?
- Is housing available and/or guaranteed for freshman students?
- What are the residence halls like? Co-ed? Single sex?
- What percentage of the student body live on campus?
- What types of activities are available?
- Are there sororities and fraternities on campus?
- What athletic programs does the college offer? Are they a major part of the social life?
- What does the surrounding community offer?
- Where do the majority of the students come from?
- Is there diversity on campus?
- How safe is your school? Where can I obtain statistics about crimes on your campus?
- What is the average class size? Smallest? Largest?
- How does registration work? Are classes guaranteed?
- What percentage of students complete a degree?
- Can I get credit for Advanced Placement scores?
- How many years does it take to graduate with a BA or BS?
- What percent of graduates are accepted to graduate schools?
- Are students taught by full-time faculty, teaching assistants or a combination of the two?
- What are the most popular majors?
- Are academic counseling services available?
- What is the job placement rate?
- What will it cost me to attend your college?
- What percent of students receive financial aid?
- What forms are needed? What are the deadlines?
- Are on-campus jobs available?
- What types of grants, scholarships, and loans are available?
- What is the typical financial aid package for a freshman? Is it guaranteed for four years?
- Are there special merit scholarships for athletics, the arts, leadership, academic achievement?