La Reina High School has an immediate opening for a full time Financial Controller.
Established in 1964, La Reina High School is a private Catholic college preparatory school for girls in grades 6 through 12. The school, sponsored by the Sisters of Notre Dame, is located in Thousand Oaks, California. It is fully accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges and the Western Catholic Education Association.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The Controller is responsible for directing the organization's overall financial practices and policies. The position will direct and have overall responsibility for internal controls, budget, forecast, financial reporting, credit, tax, accounting and payroll. The Controller will prepare financial reports, interpret and present findings and recommendations to Head of School and Board of Trustees.
- Draft and maintain annual budget.
- Exercises accounting control to ensure that budgeted expenditures do not exceed amounts authorized without proper approval.
- Generates timely and accurate financial and management reports on a consistent basis.
- Interprets operating results as they affect the financial aspects of the organization, and makes specific recommendations for cost reduction and/or profit improvement.
- Participates in Board of Trustees/Finance Committee meetings.
- Oversees payroll, as processed by the finance Business Office Manager .
- Researches, implements and maintains hardware and software used in the business.
- Develops accounting policies to comply with generally accepted accounting principles, tax requirements, and management reporting requirements.
- Prepares for annual audit.
- Assumes responsibility for accounting classifications of all expenditures and documents.
- Establishes formal internal control policies and procedures.
- Signs tax returns, checks, and other documents assigned by the Head of School.
The Controller will report to the Head of School. In addition, s/he will serve as an officer of the corporation and will serve as a member of the Finance Committee of the Board of Trustees. The Controller will supervise two finance department staff in addition to others as designated by the Head of School.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
A bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, and/or business administration is required. A minimum of six years accounting and financial experience is required, preferably with two years functioning in a Controller capacity. Excellent skills are required in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, and PowerPoint), and written/verbal communication skills are critical. Some non-profit finance experience is desirable. A CPA license, and/or MBA, and/or QuickBooks financial software experience and knowledge of Blackbaud are a plus, not required.
The Controller will have confidence and leadership skills focused on adding value to La Reina High School, not simply focused on historical results.
Candidates should have excellent organizational skills and process/project management abilities, with a strong attention to detail.
The position will require effective communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to build and maintain effective working relationships with administration, faculty, staff, the Board of Trustees, parents, students and vendors.
Computer proficiency is essential, including advanced experience with Microsoft Excel.
Skilled in budgeting and planning and responsible for the annual budget process.
Strong interpersonal skills required in dealing effectively with human resource issues, outside auditors, bankers, and Board of Trustees and, when necessary, Board of Members.
Hands-on individual with a strong work ethic.
Salary is dependent upon experience, with a range of $60,000-$80,000 per year. Comprehensive benefits including medical, dental, vision, 401K, short and long term disability insurance, vacation and sick time are available. The annual salary includes paid time off for Christmas and Easter school breaks.
Department of Justice and Tuberculosis clearance are required for employment.
Qualified individuals are asked to submit a resume with a cover letter to La Reina High School Human Resources at email@example.com. Please do not call the offices regarding employment inquiries.