Home >
Campus Life > Regent Review - School News

Regent Review - School News

La Reina Senior Shares Wisdom on Bouncing Back from Injury
Posted 08/28/2017 11:56AM

La Reina senior Jessica Sauter has spent her summer healing from an ACL tear. As a dedicated basketball player, she was disappointed to miss the summer leagues. Rather than focusing on what she was missing, however, she focused on what she could do. She is turning her experience into a short book called, “The Athlete's Guide: Bouncing Back from Injury.”

Jessica first started the project in her religion class last January. Ms. Tunzi offers students 20% time – She spends 80% of her class time on curriculum, and requires students to spend the other 20% on a project that is both personally meaningful and beneficial for others.

What began as a pamphlet that Jessica designed in Ms. Tunzi’s class, meant to offer advice and help for injured student athletes, has grown over the summer into a full book. “When you have surgery and you don’t know what to expect, it’s really scary and stressful,” said Jessica. “I wanted to give people the advantage that I didn’t have.”

To complete the book, Jessica interviewed dozens of student athletes as well as her own physical therapist. Her goal was to collect wisdom from others who have had similar experiences – what has helped, what hasn’t worked – and to distill that information into advice to get back to playing.

Although she still has a month of recovery ahead of her, Jessica reports feeling good, “I’m slowly turning ‘eventually’ into ‘now’.”

email page print page small type large type
powered by finalsite